Senior commanders who were watching a parade were reportedly injured in the Houthi rebel attack.
A drone attack on a Yemeni government base by the rebel Houthi movement has reportedly killed six soldiers. The drone exploded above a podium at al-Anad base, in the southern province of Lahj, where high-ranking officers and officials were watching a parade.
Medics said army deputy chief of staff Gen Saleh al-Zindani and Lahj governor Ahmed al-Turki were among those hurt.
A Houthi-run TV channel said the rebels had targeted personnel from the Saudi-led coalition backing the government.
The attack threatens to derail UN peace efforts, which last month saw both sides agree to a ceasefire around the lifeline Red Sea port of Hudaydah, which is crucial to the delivery of aid supplies.
A Houthi military source told Al-Masirah TV that Thursday’s attack targeted “invaders” – an apparent reference to coalition personnel – and “mercenaries” at al-Anad, which which is about 60km (40 miles) north of the second city of Aden.
It was carried out after “careful monitoring of gatherings and movements” at the base, he added.
Video footage of the incident showed the drone approaching the parade ground rapidly and at low altitude before exploding above the covered VIP podium.
READ FULL ARTICLE: UASVISION